Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Introducing Princess!


I sometimes wonder how my husband likes being married to a 12-year-old. (Or to me, the next best thing.)

On Friday, he and I were at Wal-mart when I suddenly got the urge to buy a hamster. Let me paint the picture for you: I glanced towards the pet food section, flashed back to when we had a hamster a few years ago, and decided we "needed" another. Yes, that fast. I kid you not. I don't just impulse buy clothes and cars (I once bought a new car because I needed tires).... I impulse buy rodents, too.

They don't have any hamsters Wal-mart, but I bought the bedding and some food and told my husband we needed to stop by the pet store on the way home. He asked if I'd discussed this with the kids already. (Read: Did they con you into this?) No, I told him. They had no idea! This was going to be MY hamster. Not theirs. MINE. Mine, mine, mine, mine, MINE!

Other people have mid-life crises and buy convertibles, or have affairs.

I buy hamsters.

So, we headed to the pet store, my husband rolling his eyes and, I'm sure, wondering how his life ended up this way. I picked one out -- a dwarf hamster -- and we headed home.

And, because I'm 12, I told him I needed to name it before we got home so the kids wouldn't come up with a really lame name. Because I'm nothing if not a giving, selfless mother. Right?

It took some thought, but I came up with "Princess." Oddly enough, Erin never questioned the name. Maybe she thought it was already named? I don't know. But no questions asked. PHEW!!!

Chad asked me where I came up with the name, and then asked, "Did you name it that as a joke?"

Of course I didn't! I named her that because I like princesses, and tiaras, and the color pink, and everything sparkly. Because I'm 12, damnit! What part of that don't they understand?!

My family is SO lame.

But Princess? She's awfully cute.... and very regal, too. I wonder if they sell hamster tiaras somewhere? If not, they should.

***

6 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

A hamster?! Yes, you are crazy!

I can't believe you let a little 7 hour round trip keep you away last night!

teri said...

I guess a hamster is better than a dog. ;)

Unknown said...

Oh. My. Gosh! Baby Favorite! You are so much fun I can not even STAND it!

I love Princess. I love your mid life crisis choice : ) and I love the name.

Pink and glittery tiarras make me think of dwarf hamsters immediately!

Reanaclaire said...

hi..greetings from reanaclaire.com
I have a pair of hamster too last time.. unfortunately they have passed on.. they were super cute..

Saleta said...

You're post made me laugh! It was so cute! Lovely name for the hamster, btw.

lauren said...

lol i was flipping through random blog pages and came across yours and reading this post made me laugh so hard! the same thing happened to me and my roommate last year she wanted a hamster and i wanted a puppy, but my choice costed us extra rent hahaha so she won and got a cute lil hamster they do make adorable pets :)